Tuesday, December 22, 2009

"If it ends in cylin, we sell it.....cheap".

That's the first words we heard as we entered Mexico. A hawker standing in front of the many pharmacies in Los Adoronos. Video of this is below.

"Senior, you come to Mexico to spend money". I heard that many times, also. Actually, I probably would have bought more than we did if it hadn't been for the tough selling. Then again the bartering is part of the flavor of Mexico.

"Pure silver, look at the stamp on the back, senior". I fell for that one and bought a bracelet. Later I found out it was made of steel. A shop vendor had a magnet and held it to the bracelet. Silver of course is non magnetic. My next trip will certainly have a magnet in my pocket. I did get the price of the bracelet from $22.00 to $10.00.I know I could have gotten it for $2.00 if I had a magnet to show him it wasn't silver. Then again he already knew.

Another no no is don't pick up an item and say "I like this." Everyone was on Pam trying their best to sell her some ear rings. I wish I would have thought to get a video of it. No, she didn't buy the ear rings.

We didn't spend too long in Mexico. About 3 hours. That was long enough for our first time.

While standing in line to go thru customs, I met a gentleman from Canada. Turned out he was in WW2 on the German side. He was about 80 yrs of age and migrated to Canada in 1953. He had lived under the dictatorship of Hitler. We were able to talk for about 45 minutes. It was an interesting 45 minutes. I also asked him about Canadian health care. He wasn't thrilled about it when he said that it was OK. He lives in British Columbia, so maybe we'll see him again.


People from everywhere

No comments:

Post a Comment