Monday, December 14, 2009


Knock 3 times

That’s what the maid should have done this morning at 8:30 when she walked in.
That was the highlight of her day. That was not the highlight of my day.
Fueled the truck up and off we drove to Rhyolite. An abandoned mining town a short distance away. The town and history was very interesting and leaves me wanting to know more about it’s history.
We drove on into Pahrump. Went to a hotel to get a room. A new twist to my priceline technique happened. While I was going thru my routine, she body slammed me with "Only one room left". Whoa, never heard that before so didn’t have a comeback. Did get a little off the room, but not a great deal. Still it is a reasonable price and a nice room. Also next door is a car wash. $1.50 for 5 minutes and the water is hot. Such a deal.



An old dog and new lessons learned

I’m learning a lot about traveling like :

The price of Alaskan Ale beer in Pahrump, Nevada sells for $12.00 a 12 pack. In Juneau, Alaska where it’s brewed the price is around $20.00/12 pack. I’m still trying to figure out shipping cost with that one.

I went in to WalMart and asked how much to rotate tires. $2.50/ tire or in their words $20.00. Hmmm, Again, I’m trying to figure that out even as I write this.

Every time I fuel up, there is always cheaper fuel down the block.

When pressure washing your truck, make sure ALL the windows are ALL the way up. I figure I only got a $1.00 worth of water on the outside of the truck.

Don’t even think about picking up another stray kitten no matter how cute. I know I’ll get a comment from Tristan who is taking care of Dude our cat.

When 2 one gallon jugs of water is advertised at 2 for $3.00…..don’t just buy one thinking it’ll cost $1.50. No matter how much you talk to the clerk, it’ll still be $2.00 plus for one. Again, how does the math on that work out?

On a web page I found about Rhyolite :
(The depot, in 1995, has been fenced off, for years, to protect it from vandals. There is a Canadian-owned cyanide gold-leaching operation, not far, over the eastern hills, which still pulls millions in gold from the their federal mining claim. These foreigners do not pay any Income Taxes on their profits.) The math doesn’t work on that one either.

In a community where older seniors spend the winter, you have to be on the look out for motorized shopping carts in department stores.

Not sure where we’ll go tomorrow wake up and decide then. Lot of options.

Oh, 54 degrees here today, 15 degrees back home……those are numbers I understand.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment