Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Sunshine and warm breezes

Woke up to a warm breeze Tuesday morning in Pahrump. Drove around town and visited the winery there. Looked at some homes close by then took a drive out of town. Turned out we were several miles from town so we kept on heading toward Vegas. 30 minutes later we saw a sign for Bonnie Springs. Looked interesting so we drove to it and had lunch. After drove thru Red Rock Canyon. Quite breath taking.

As we were leaving, we decided to drive to Yuma, Az. So off we go via Vegas. Now before I go into more detail, I need to correct something I mentioned about Oil Can Henry. Remember I was complaining about getting lubed for $175.00. Well, when I filled up with diesel the next day, I averaged 23 miles/gal. That’s pretty good for a 3500 diesel Dodge. I guess the extra money for the best oil did help. Of course we averaged 55 mph Driving down hwy 35 around Mt. Hood due to the snow and ice on the windy roads. The next tank full, I averaged 20/gal. That was due to keeping my speed just under 65. So now that my apologies are made, on with the story.

We drove thru Vegas or should say around Vegas and stopped in Neddles, California. Not sure how we got in California, but I listened to my gps lady on the dash board. Perhaps she needs her software updated.

OK, now what did I learn today ??

Buy only one color of t-shirts…. Too many colors and it’s hard to decide what to wear.

When driving on the freeway around Vegas at rush hour. Forget about the great fuel economy you were getting and just floor it and keep from getting run over.

No matter which motel you stop at, there was a cheaper one advertised on a big blinking red lit billboard saying cheapest rooms anywhere 20 miles back.

When you dicker with the manager of a motel who wants to charge you for Internet…..don’t blink (remember what I said about negotiating yesterday). It worked, cheaper rate…I mean reasonable rate …still slightly higher than what we passed up. What I didn’t figure in the negotiation equation was he shuts the Internet off at 10PM. He must have to pay for the bandwidth. So, this won’t get published for another day. Oh, btw, I uploaded 4 videos of our trip. They’re short clips. Think that all that uploading was eating up his allotted bandwidth.

Heard it was snowing and generally miserable weather in Ketchikan today.

No comments:

Post a Comment